- The award is intended to recognize the efforts of an individual law enforcement officer (including police, sheriffs, and prosecutors), child protective service agency personnel, or other individual who works exclusively in the field of child protection.
- Nominations will not be accepted from relatives or friends; nor will self-nominations be accepted.
- The exemplary actions of the individual who is being nominated for the award must have taken place in 2013.
- This award is for individuals within the United States only.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Award winners are subject to formal background check and final approval by DOJ.
- DOJ reserves the right to not select a winner for this year based upon the applications received.
- DOJ reserves the right to not make an award for any reason.
- All submitted materials become the property of DOJ.
- The nominee must be an active member of the law enforcement community (police, sheriff, or prosecutor), child protective service agency personnel, or other individual who works exclusively in the field of child protection.
- The nominee must meet one of the following criteria:
- Was actively involved in an investigation leading to the protection of a child from victimization.
- Developed new policies or guidelines that significantly improved the safety and protection of children from abuse or victimization.
- Made a significant impact on child protection at the department, county, regional, State, or national level.
Complete the nomination form, including a maximum 750-word description of the action or contribution of the nominee.
Describe the nominee’s investigative or program contribution in the space provided on the Nomination Form. The summary must include specific details describing the nominee’s contribution, which may involve either an extraordinary investigation or a significant contribution to child safety. The description should include all relevant participating agencies, including any federal entities. Relevant additional materials (i.e., newspaper articles, awards, letters of support, etc.) may be included with the application.